Be careful when you feel confident in your knowledge of God: '...But Jesus answered and said to them, "You are mistaken, not understanding the Scriptures, or the power of God..." (Matthew 22:29)'

Welcome to The Red Cell!

If this is your first visit here, please take a moment to peruse the posts and comments. Try to see things from the vantage point of someone who does not know God.

The "Red Cell Thoughts" are not to be taken as a position of this blog- they are meant to stir thought. Please feel free to post other thoughts, questions, and possible answers. All posts are anonymous, but feel free to provide your name if you so desire. The Red Cell facilitators reserve the right to edit comments that are rude or offensive. Having said that, a little bit of offensiveness may be allowed- because if we offend no-one, then we might not be working hard enough! Remember, the Christian religion was founded on questioning the prevailing wisdom of the day and the Protestant Reformation continued that tradition. Don't be afraid to question all your assumptions.

Sunday, May 10, 2009

1 problem with Evolution down, 1 to go

After a HS education and some college-level classes on biological evolution and then reading a book called Scientific Creationism (and 20+ years of religious education and thought) I found myself having two issues with evolution as I understood it:

1) on the macro level I tied it to The Big Bang and saw an inconsistency at some level with respect to the need for a "first cause" at some point. At some point I thought science had a problem with being consistent: the further one went back, the closer one got to a conclusion that a Creator of some kind was needed (who created the mass of stuff that "banged"?).

2) at the micro level I thought there were too many holes in the fossil record to back up evolution. I thought evolution theory held that over a long period of time through random mutations and natural selection new species would emerge. If that were true surely at least one species would have a fossilized record of most of the variations it went through to arrive at what they are today.

Since there was no such record that I could find for even one species- I thought the theory didn't jive.

Recently, however, from readings on Complexity theory and "Emergence" (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergence and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punctuated_Equilibrium) I've come to the belief that the fossil record might not contradict a theory of evolution- and that the education I got on evolution (and the way Darwinian evolution is taught) was wrong. The basic idea is that life is not chaotic or random- there are rules that structure life and that we all have to follow (one could suppose physics is an attempt to "discover" these rules that govern the universe).

From that initial structure- certain changes in the environment (quite possibly NOT random- but seemingly to us on the micro level) lead to very quick change and whole species developing seemingly overnight. And that is followed by long periods of seemingly no change. So- the fossil record wouldn't show a thousand different variations in a species because there weren't a thousand variations.

The bottom line on these concepts is that we aren't here by accident- based on the initial conditions everything we see at the macro level is more or less pre-determined (although there are plenty of micro happenstance) based on the structure (rules) of the universe (think physics)-although "emergence" would probably state it is pre-determined, but only identified as such from hindsight (unless one is an all-knowing entity).

All of that leads me to believe that one of my problems with evolution has died a slow death. But- does that lead me further from the concept of God? My conclusion is "no"- and actually I even feel closer to a belief in a "Creator". I somehow get the feeling that the mechanics of God are way out of my league the more I learn- but I actually think my other "problem" with evolution- the one that deals with the eventuality of inconsistency- is actually GREATER as I accept the "new" evolutionary theories. When one follows the logic trail all the way back to the beginning of the universe it seems to me that there IS design, there IS structure, there IS a purpose- based on emergence theory and punctuated equilibrium.

Why? Because everything rests on initial conditions and thus the world isn't chaotic and filled with chance- based on those concepts. And there are rules and structure to life. All of that leads me logically towards something setting those initial conditions, establishing the structure and rules, and something that could possibly figure the macro patterns that will emerge light years from now (or from the beginning) i.e., an all-knowing entity. Of course we can't prove this, but I'd argue it goes both ways (we can't prove another way either). When you factor in the fact that only a very small percentage of the universe (4%) is even detectable (see dark matter: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_matter) and only 22% of the rest is even indirectly detectable- it seems very likely that we may never be able to "prove" (or disprove) a Creator in this life and/or dimension.

In the end I may be framing the term evolution incorrectly. To me evolution cannot be separated with the initial conditions of the universe and what started it all (Big Bang or something else). I know they are two distinct theories, but in my overall concept of the universe it is difficult and seemingly inconsistent to separate them from the same underlying logic (that logic being either no "Designer" running things and having influence- or a Designer doing something either at the beginning or continuously (read: God). Indeed, both emergence and Complexity theories would hold that evolution at the micro biological level depends entirely on however the Universe started and the rules inherent within.

Can you have evolution and still have God? Or, more presciently: can you be consistent within the concepts of evolution as we understand them today and declare there is no God? I would argue that it would be difficult.

2 comments:

  1. I would suggest watching Ben Stine's movie "No Intelligence Allowed" for further enlightenment on this evolution subject controversy.

    Also, I see horizontal type evolutionary changes within species (e.g. squirrels and winged squirrels, etc.) but no vertical type changes (i.e. from one species to another). There is no signs of any missing link between species and no sign of seeing one species changing into another.

    I do not think you can have evolution and still have God as we know Him from the Bible because of how the book of Genesis begins with God creating man in the likeness of His image on the 6th day. Way back when we had man and we still do. No real changes I'm sure except maybe horizontally with different races, stronger, faster, smarter?

    I digress. I am not evolving into a smarter person who does not tire out as easy any more but someone who is breaking down and will eventually get old and die. I must hit the sack:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leif-

    Interesting points.

    I'm not sure there is a "controversy", however- at least not in academia.

    Signs of missing links also bothered me- since there seemed to be none- but that was the point of Emergence and Complexity Theory- with the concept of "punctuated equilibrium" it might be possible for no "link" needed. In other words, there would be long periods of no change and then periods of very drastic change- with no interim "link" needed.

    I think the points on evolution vs. the Bible readdress the question of the purpose of the Bible: was it meant to be a scientific textbook telling us how the universe runs/started- or was it meant to be mainly a guidebook for our relationship with God?

    I think there are some problems with using it as a scientific textbook- unless we are supposed to believe that God's actions disrupted the geological record to such an extent that we cannot trust our own measurements of the world. I tend to believe that God gave us our faculties for reason and experimentation for a purpose- not to deceive us.

    I am reminded of the story of the guy waiting on his roof during a flood and a truck comes by, then a boat, then a helicopter- all while the waters are rising. To each he says, "God will save me." He dies in the flood and goes to Heaven and asks God- "why didn't you save me?" God answers, "I sent a truck, boat, ...."

    I wonder if we get to Heaven and ask God to explain the beginning of the Universe, etc.- and he says, "I sent you science, math, reason, intuition, experimentation, physics, etc.- why didn't you use them?"

    ReplyDelete